Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

I have a passion for Art and Music which helps me teach the creative side to the lessons. This also really connected me with this grade 7 group because this age is so passionate about music and some art as well. I used music in many different forms for this practicum. First, students were greatful to listen to music in the gym while playing badminton or volleyball. It created a relaxing environment and with a relaxing environment came a safe and more controlled environment. I also used music as a “carrot” in class. Students were always asking to listen to music so this was my opportunity to use this to my advantage. Students were able to earn listening to music and it was taken away if the class got too loud but the students enjoyed their music so much that when it was allowed (which didn’t happen all the time), they appreciated it and worked well.

During Poetry I was teaching Literary Devices and I was able to break down some song lyrics for the students. We listened to music and the students would highlight what they thought was personification, or what the hyperbole was in the song lyric etc. They really liked this and connected with this very well.

My passion for Art gave me an advantage because my energy for Art oozed through my teaching of the lessons. I saw that there were many other students who were very passionate about Art right away. This helped me with my Art lessons but it also helped me create relationships with students on a different level other then just a practicum teacher. I had many “doodlers” in my class and I encouraged it! I believe it is something that should be embraced, not stopped. When teaching the pebble art class in ADST, the Optic Art in class and the Northwest Culture art class, I gave my own examples that I had drawn or created. Students really liked how it was my work and not found on the internet and they were very interested and engaged even with small piece. Being creative isn’t for everyone, I do realize, but if I can make lessons more creative and interesting for the students to engage in, then I believe I have created a very healthy learning environment for all.

This was one of my pebble art examples that I shared that I had created.
This was another example of pebble art that I used. It showed the students what you could do with an assortment of different materials found outside.
When working on Optic Art, I drew and colored step by step with the students
so it was easier for some to follow along.
Some of my students helped create an Art wall in the hallway. There was one students optic art (not in this picture) where the principal took it down to put in our local art gallery at the Rec Centre.
A student working on a Ted Harrison piece that she was creating with pastels.